Clients who demonstrate the ability to live independently, including having the necessary judgment and skills to safely live independently (with supports), may choose to live in one of several South Orange apartment buildings or condominiums. These clients may be referred to as outclients since their apartments are outside of JESPY-owned or managed buildings. The apartments are leased privately.
Most outclients have transitioned from the JESPY Shared Housing Program. Some have come directly from other agencies or outside living arrangements.
- Group and individual support counseling
- Assistance in securing apartments
- Referrals to:
- moving companies
- utilities, cable and phone services
- private cleaning services, if necessary
- Advocating on behalf of the client with their landlord/building manager interactions
- Menu planning, food shopping and cooking skills
- Budgeting and money management
- Crisis intervention
- Community integration and social relationship support
Case managers provide overall supervision and guidance as each client moves further along in her/his goal towards independent living. Typically, clients are visited one or two times each week and living skills counselors provide limited training based on the needs of each outclient.
Additional Support Services:
JESPY on-the-Go, which is designed to assist individuals who are living at home, provides supports in the areas of Daily Living, Community Participation, Cognitive Skills, and Independence. Weekly support hours are available at a 2-hour minimum to 15-hour maximum. Service areas include Essex, Union and Bergen Counties. Payments can be made through the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD), Supports Program Budget or Private Pay.
COMMUNITY INCLUSION MAP
Community-Based Supports Team
the key to my independence and learning to deal in the real world